New York Aggressive Driving Accidents Lawyer
Aggressive driving describes driving in a manner that puts other drivers, passengers and pedestrian at risk. Aggressive driving typically involves speeding, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic. While aggressive driving is commonly associated with road rage, drivers operate their vehicles aggressively for other reasons as well. Regardless of the reason for the aggressive driving, aggressive driving can lead to catastrophic accidents. A victim injured in an accident caused by an aggressive driver is likely to suffer serious injuries such as a brain injury, broke bones, contusions, abrasions, a neck injury, or a spinal cord injury. These types of injuries may involve long recovery times, requiring the victim to miss a significant amount of work. However, under New York law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you or a family member was injured in a car accident that resulted from aggressive driving it is important to contact an experienced New York Aggressive Driving Accidents Lawyer who will help ensure that those responsible for your injuries are held accountable through a personal injury or wrongful death claim.Types of aggressive driving
There are several tell tale signs of road rage and aggressive driving, including:
- Sudden acceleration and speeding
- Changing lanes recklessly
- Sudden braking
- Excessive use of horns
- Flashing of lights
- Use of hand gestures
- Shouting threats or obscenities
- Displaying a gun or other weapon
- Intentionally causing a crash
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Running red light or stop sign
- Illegal passing
- Illegal U-turns
- Turning from the wrong lane
- Driving on the shoulder of the road or on the median
- Intentionally causing an accident
Aggressive driving and road rage often culminate in a face-to-face confrontation. In some cases the confrontation escalates to physical assault and even murder. When this happens the defendant may face both a civil claim and criminal prosecution.Consequences of aggressive driving accidents
Victims injured in aggressive driving accidents suffer serious injuries and are often left in deep debt because of the substantial medical bills. Not only do victims have significant medical bills, but their income is reduced since they are unable to work while they recover from their injuries.
However, witness statements, police reports, and accident reconstruction specialists can provide evidence as to the cause of the accident and who is legally and financially responsible. Holding the parties responsible for the accident will help alleviate financial stress caused by the accident. Through a personal injury lawsuit you may be able to recover a variety of types of damages, including:
- Medical expenses. The person responsible for the accident that caused your injuries may be required to pay for your medical expenses. This would include medical bills you accumulated prior to filing your claim as well as future medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury.
- Lost wages. Even a relatively minor accident may cause you to miss time at work. The person responsible may be required to pay the wages you lost. If you end up using earned sick days or vacation days, you may be entitled to receive compensation for those days. Furthermore, if as a result of your injury your earning potential declined, you may be able to recover damages for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Another potential source of damages that you may be entitled to receive is pain and suffering. In the context of a personal injury claim, pain and suffering refers to physical pain as well as emotional distress.
- Wrongful death. If your loved one died in the accident, you may be able to recover damages in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a claim in a personal injury case. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit.New York Aggressive Driving Accidents Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that you believe was caused by the reckless driving of another person, it is critical to immediately contact an attorney with experience. Not only will you be faced with physical challenges, you will also face financial challenges due to medical bills and loss of income. Compensation from the person responsible for your condition is essential to help you and your family deal with the financial burden. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates has extensive experience representing clients injured in SUV rollover accidents, car accidents, truck accidents, and other types of accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.