Stephen Bilkis
Justice for the injured! 800.696.9529 Request A Free Consultation

New York Name Change

A New York Name Change Lawyer can explain that is it not usual for someone to change his or her name. Often people like to change their name after a divorce, because of an adoption or family estrangement. In New York, anyone may assume a different name, provided the name is not changed to avoid a financial obligation or for fraudulent purposes. If you are interested in a Name Change, or need help on a related matter such as an Immigration issue, or are involved in a Civil Litigation case, contact a New York Name Change Lawyer from Stephen Bilkis & Associates, PLLC for advice.

The legal processes involved to change a name are straightforward. There are two ways to accomplish this. One way is to simply begin using the new name in all personal, business and social dealings, or to obtain an official name change from the court. Complications tend to arise by establishing a name by usage however.

If you want to obtain an Order of Name Change from the court, your New York Name Change Lawyer will submit a petition with all relevant information and a fingerprint card. Once the petition is accepted by the court, the name change will need to be published in the newspaper, provided it does not endanger the petitioner. If for instance, the petitioner is changing their name because of a domestic violence dispute, it may jeopardize the safety of the petitioner to publish this information. Once this step is completed, a new birth certificate will be obtained.

It is important to note that in order to obtain a name change, you must be at least 18 years of age. If the name change is for a minor child, both parents be involved. If only one parent brings the petition, the other parent must be given reasonable notice of the name change. Complications can arise if, for instance, one parent objects, or cannot be located. The judge will ultimately need to determine if the name change is in the best interests of the child. If the process goes smoothly, normally a name change can be accomplished within 30 to 90 days.

If you are interested in a Name Change, either for yourself or for your child, speak with a New York Name Change Lawyer from Stephen Bilkis & Associates, PLLC for guidance. We can answer your questions provide you with valuable legal counsel. We handle many different areas of practice including Criminal, Medical Malpractice, Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Debt Collection, Immigration, Divorce or Family Law, Estate litigation or Probate, Bankruptcy, DWI, real estate matter, or have a Debt Collection We have offices to serve you throughout the New York City area, including offices in the Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island. Contact us to today to schedule a free consultation at 800.696.9529.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Contact Us