New York Road Rage Accidents
A driver has road rage when he or she gets angry at another driver and becomes aggressive. The aggression often takes the form of the angry driver speeding, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic in an effort to catch up with the driver at which the anger is targeted. In some cases of road rage the angry driver intentionally, recklessly or negligently causes an accident with the target of his or her rage. A road rage car accident can take many forms such as a rear end accident, sideswipe, or side collision. Regardless of the type of accident the result of a road rage accident is often that a victim suffers serious injuries such as a brain injury, broke bones, contusion, abrasions, a neck injury, or a spinal cord injury. These types of injuries may involve long recovery times, requiring the victim to miss a significant amount of work. However, under New York law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you or a family member was injured in a car or truck accident that resulted from road rage, it is important to contact an experienced New York Road Rage Accidents Lawyer who will help ensure that those responsible for your injuries are held accountable. In addition, if during the course of the treatment for your injuries your doctor commits medical malpractice, the party responsible for your car accident injuries may be required to compensate you for the medical malpractice injury as well.Signs of road rage
When someone is experiencing road rage there are usually tell tale signs. Behaviors that are indicative of road rage and aggressive driving include:
- Sudden acceleration
- Following too closely
- Changing lanes recklessly
- Sudden braking
- Excessive use of horns
- Flashing of lights
- Use of hand gestures
- Shouting threats or obscenities
- Displaying a gun or other weapon
- Intentionally causing a crash
Victims injured in road rage accidents suffer serious injuries and are often left in deep financial distress because of the substantial medical bills. Not only do victims have significant medical bills, but their income is reduced since they are unable to work while they recover from their injuries.
However, witness statements, police reports, and accident reconstruction specialists can provide evidence as to the cause of the accident and who is legally and financially responsible. Holding the parties responsible for the accident will help alleviate financial stress caused by the accident. Through a personal injury lawsuit there are number of different types of damages that you may be able to recover:
- Medical expenses. The person responsible for the accident that caused your injuries may be required to pay for your medical expenses. This would include medical bills you accumulated prior to filing your claim as well as future medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury.
- Lost wages. Even a relatively minor accident may cause you to miss time at work. The person responsible may be required to pay the wages you lost. If you end up using earned sick days or vacation days, you may be entitled to receive compensation for those days. Furthermore, if as a result of your injury your earning potential declined, you may be able to recover damages for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Another potential source of damages that you may be entitled to receive is pain and suffering. In the context of a personal injury claim, pain and suffering refers to physical pain as well as emotional distress.
- Property damage. The person whose negligence caused the accident may also be responsible for damage to your vehicle or other property.
Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a claim in a personal injury case. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit.New York Road Rage Accidents Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that you believe was caused by the reckless driving of another person, it is critical to immediately contact an attorney with experience. Not only will you be faced with physical challenges, you will also face financial challenges due to medical bills and loss of income. Compensation from the person responsible for your condition is essential to help you and your family deal with the financial burden. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates has extensive experience representing clients injured in SUV rollover accidents, car accidents, truck accidents, and other types of accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.