New York Road Rage Accidents
A driver has road rage when he or she gets angry at another driver and becomes aggressive. The aggression often takes the form of the angry driver speeding, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic in an effort to catch up with the driver at which the anger is targeted. In some cases of road rage the angry driver intentionally, recklessly or negligently causes an accident with the target of his or her rage. A road rage car accident can take many forms such as a rear end accident, sideswipe, or side collision. Sometimes the driver exit their vehicles and have a physical fight. As a result of road rage, victims often suffer serious injuries including neck, spinal, and brain injuries, as well as broken bones and internal damage. Whenever someone suffers serious injuries, they face substantial medical bills and other economic losses. If you were injured by someone else during a road rage incident, contact an experienced New York Road Rage Accidents Lawyer who will help ensure that those responsible for your injuries are held accountable.Signs of Road Rage
When someone is experiencing road rage there are usually telltale signs. Behaviors that are indicative of road rage and aggressive driving include:
- Sudden acceleration
- Following too closely
- Changing lanes recklessly
- Sudden braking
- Excessive use of horns
- Flashing of lights
- Use of hand gestures
- Shouting threats or obscenities
- Displaying a gun or other weapon
- Intentionally causing a crash
Victims injured in road rage accidents suffer serious injuries and are often left in deep financial distress because of the substantial medical bills. Not only do victims have significant medical bills, but their income is reduced since they are unable to work while they recover from their injuries. This is why it is critical to contact an experienced New York Road Rage Accidents Lawyer.
However, witness statements, police reports, and accident reconstruction specialists can provide evidence as to the cause of the accident and who is legally and financially responsible. Holding the parties responsible for the accident will help alleviate financial stress caused by the accident. Through a personal injury lawsuit there are number of different types of damages that you may be able to recover:
- Medical expenses. The person responsible for the accident that caused your injuries may be required to pay for your medical expenses. This would include medical bills you accumulated prior to filing your claim as well as future medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury.
- Lost wages. Even a relatively minor accident may cause you to miss time at work. The person responsible may be required to pay the wages you lost. If you end up using earned sick days or vacation days, you may be entitled to receive compensation for those days. Furthermore, if as a result of your injury your earning potential declined, you may be able to recover damages for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Another potential source of damages that you may be entitled to receive is pain and suffering. In the context of a personal injury claim, pain and suffering refers to physical pain as well as emotional distress. As an experienced Road Rage Accidents Attorney in New York can explain, compensation for pain and suffering can be substantial.
- Property damage. The person whose negligence caused the accident may also be responsible for damage to your vehicle or other property.
¡Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a claim in a personal injury case. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit.Contact a Road Rage Accidents Attorney Serving New York at Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that you believe was caused by the reckless driving of another person, you need experienced counsel. Not only will you be faced with physical challenges, you will also face financial challenges due to medical bills and loss of income. Compensation from the person responsible for your condition is essential to help you and your family deal with the financial burden. The staff at Stephen Bilkis & Associates has extensive experience representing clients injured in car, truck, and other types of vehicle accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident. We represent clients in the following locations: Manhattan, Westchester County, Suffolk County, Staten Island, Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Nassau County, and Queens.