New York Vehicles Stopped on the Side of the Road Accidents
An alarming number of people are critically injured or killed in accidents that occur on the side of the road. Drivers sometimes must stop on the side of the road because of a mechanical problem, to use the phone, to tend to a crying child, because of a medical emergency, or for a variety of other reasons. While it may seem as if you should be safe when you are on the side of the road or on the shoulder of the road out of traffic, the side of the road is far from safe. While shoulder of the road accidents sometimes involve a car sideswiping a vehicle that is stopped on the shoulder, often the victim is outside of the stopped vehicle. Particularly in cases where the victim is struck while outside of the vehicle, the victim is likely to suffer severe, life-threatening injuries. For example, a pedestrian who is struck by a speeding car may be thrown through the air landing on his or her head and may suffer a traumatic brain injury such as a severe concussion. Another common type of injury is a back or spinal cord injury that leaves the victim paralyzed. These types of injuries may involve long recovery times, with the victim being unable to work. However, under New York law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you or a family member was injured in a shoulder of the road car accident caused by another person’s negligence, it is important to contact an experienced New York Vehicles Stopped on the Side of the Road Accidents Lawyer who will help ensure that those responsible for your injuries are held accountable. In addition, if during the course of the treatment for your injuries your doctor commits medical malpractice, the party responsible for your car accident injuries may be required to compensate you for the medical malpractice injury as well.How do shoulder of the road accidents happen?
Most side of the road accidents happen on highways where vehicles are traveling at a high rate of speed. However, such accidents can happen even when drivers are not traveling particularly fast or on other types of road. A variety of factors can contribute to a shoulder of the road accident.
- Speeding. A driver that is speeding may not have enough time to properly maneuver his or her vehicle to avoid a pedestrian or car that is on the shoulder, but very close to the road.
- Distracted driving. We have all driven behind a driver whose vehicle drifts to the right or left because the driver is talking on the phone. If a car happens to be stopped on the shoulder or a pedestrian walking on the shoulder, the distracted driver could end up striking the vehicle or pedestrian.
- Reckless driving. When someone is stopped on the side of the road, both the person stopped and oncoming drivers must be careful. Oncoming drivers should slow down and make sure there is adequate room to safely pass the stopped vehicle or pedestrian. Drivers who fail to do this could end up causing a collision. This is more likely to happen with larger vehicles.
Common injuries include:
- Lacerations, contusions, abrasions. These types of injuries typically result from loose objects flying around the vehicle and broken window glass.
- Neck and shoulder whiplash. During some accidents the neck and head violently whip back and forth or from side to side. As a result, tendons, ligaments, and muscles can stretch and tear away from bones.
- Back and spine. With a severe impact, the discs in the spinal cord can excessively, causing a disk to herniated or the spinal cord to bruise.
- Traumatic brain injury. If the victim head’s slams against the steering wheel, windshield, vehicle frame, or pavement, the skull could fracture leading to brain damage.
Victims injured in side of the road accidents suffer serious injuries and are often left in deep financial distress because of the substantial medical bills. Not only do victims have significant medical bills, but their income is reduced since they are unable to work while they recover from their injuries.
Through a personal injury lawsuit you may be able to recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, as well as pain and suffering. If your loved one died in the accident, you may be able to recover damages in a wrongful death lawsuit.New York Vehicles Stopped on the Side of the Road Accidents Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that you believe was caused by the reckless driving of another person, it is critical to immediately contact an attorney with experience. Not only will you be faced with physical challenges, you will also face financial challenges due to medical bills and loss of income. Compensation from the person responsible for your condition is essential to help you and your family deal with the financial burden. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates has extensive experience representing clients injured in car accidents, truck accidents, and other types of accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.