New York Brain Injury Lawyer
Statistics report that up to 1.7 million people in the U.S. are involved in accidents that result in a serious brain damage. According to the Centers for Disease Control 52,000 of these people die; 275,000 are hospitalized for long periods of time; and 1.365 million suffer injuries which require emergency room treatment. Most victims of brain injuries are in the following age groups: under 4 years old, 15-19 years old, or over 65 years old. Victims of construction accidents, slip and fall accidents, and car accidents can suffer a variety of serious injuries such as back injuries, broken bones, and internal bleeding. However, a severe traumatic brain injury is one of the most serious. Traumatic brain injuries can lead to lifelong problems such as dementia, chronic headaches, memory loss, sleeplessness, and personality changes. Such an injury can also be fatal. Victims are faced with extended recovery times. Many have to miss a substantial amount of work. This means that both the victims and their families face financial challenges. If you or a loved one have sustained a brain injury as the result of an accident, it is important to speak with an experienced New York brain injury lawyer as you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.Common Causes of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can result from a range of accidents, including:
- Falls: Slips, trips, and falls are the leading cause of brain injuries, especially among older adults and children.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Collisions, whether involving cars, motorcycles, bicycles, or pedestrians, can lead to severe head trauma.
- Sports and Recreational Activities: High-impact sports, such as football and boxing, pose a significant risk of brain injuries.
- Workplace Accidents: Industrial accidents, construction site mishaps, and exposure to hazardous materials can result in traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Assaults: Physical assaults, domestic violence, and criminal attacks can cause severe brain damage.
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in an accident due to the negligence of another person, it is crucial to seek the assistance of an experienced New York brain injury lawyer.Complications Caused by Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can give rise to a variety of medical problems, which can manifest immediately or develop gradually over time. Some common complications include:
- Cognitive Impairment: Brain injuries often lead to memory loss, difficulty concentrating, impaired judgment, and reduced problem-solving abilities.
- Physical Disabilities: Depending on the location and severity of the injury, individuals may experience paralysis, weakness, loss of coordination, and sensory impairments.
- Emotional and Behavioral Changes: Brain injuries can lead to mood swings, irritability, depression, anxiety, and personality alterations.
- Seizures: Some individuals may develop epilepsy or experience recurring seizures after sustaining a brain injury.
- Communication and Language Problems: Difficulties with speech, understanding, and expressing oneself can arise from brain injuries, impacting social interactions and daily life.
- Sensory Issues: Changes in vision, hearing, taste, and smell can occur due to brain injuries, affecting overall sensory perception.
- Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, excessive sleepiness, and other sleep-related problems are common among individuals with brain injuries.
Complications caused from brain injuries can have a significant impact on the ability to perform activities of daily living and on interpersonal relationships. Furthermore, they can lead to substantial medical bills. It is critical to consult with an experienced brain injury attorney in New York to look into your options for recovering compensation from those who caused your brain injury.Pursuing Compensation
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury due to someone else's negligence, it may be possible to seek compensation for the damages incurred. This could include medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and long-term care needs. Consulting with an experienced brain injury attorney in New York is crucial in navigating the legal complexities and ensuring your rights are protected.
The circumstances of the accident will determine liability. For example, if the injury was sustained in a slip and fall accident and the fall occurred on someone else's property, the property owner or occupier may be held liable for failing to maintain safe premises. If the brain injury was sustained in a car accident, the at-fault driver who caused the accident due to negligence or recklessness would be liable. If the brain injury was caused by a physical assault, the person who committed the assault may be held liable for the brain injury, both criminally and in civil court for damages.
The amount of compensation to which the injured person may be entitled will depend on several factors such as the injured person’s economic and non-economic losses. For example, compensation typically covers past and future medical expenses related to the brain injury. This includes costs for hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, medication, assistive devices, therapy, and ongoing medical care. The amount of the medical bills will vary from case to case. If the brain injury results in the victim being unable to work temporarily or permanently, they may be entitled to compensation for lost wages and the potential loss of future earning capacity. If the brain injury leads to long-term or permanent disability, the victim may be eligible for compensation to cover the costs of ongoing care, rehabilitation, assistive devices, home modifications, and other necessary accommodations.
Brain injuries can cause significant physical pain, emotional distress, and a reduced quality of life. Compensation may be awarded to address these non-economic damages.
It's important to note that there is no fixed formula for calculating compensation, and the actual amount will vary from case to case. To determine the potential compensation amount, it's advisable to consult with an experienced brain injury attorney in New York. They will assess the details of your case, consider the relevant factors, and work to secure the maximum compensation possible based on the specific circumstances and applicable laws.Contact the Stephen Bilkis & Associates
Brain injuries can have life-altering consequences, impacting not only the individual but also their families and support networks. Seeking justice and compensation is essential for individuals affected by brain injuries caused by someone else's negligence. To navigate the legal process successfully, it is crucial to consult with an experienced brain injury attorney serving New York. Remember, time is of the essence in personal injury cases. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Staten Island, Suffolk County, Westchester County, Bronx, and Queens.