Child Spinal Cord Injury in New York
At Stephen Bilkis & Associates we understand the life-altering impact that a spinal cord injury can have on a child and their family. The spine plays a critical role in a child's physical development and mobility, and any damage to the spinal cord can result in significant long-term consequences. If your child has suffered a spinal cord injury due to negligence, it is essential to seek legal representation from experienced New York spinal cord injury lawyers who understands both issues related to injuries to children as well as medical issues related to the spinal cord. We are committed to advocating for injured victims, ensuring they receive the support, care, and compensation they deserve.Child Spinal Cord Injuries and Liability
Child spinal cord injuries are devastating and can have lifelong consequences for both the affected child and their family. These injuries are often the result of accidents and can occur in various settings, such as playgrounds, schools, cars, sports activities, and medical facilities. When negligence is a contributing factor, determining liability becomes a crucial aspect of seeking compensation and justice for the injured child.
- Playground Accidents: Negligence in maintaining safe playground equipment or supervising children on playgrounds can lead to severe injuries, including spinal cord injuries. Falls from heights, getting caught in defective equipment, or collisions with other children can cause devastating harm to a child's spine. If the playground is owned and maintained by a municipality or school, they may be held responsible for negligence in inspecting and repairing equipment. If the playground is part of a private establishment, such as a daycare or recreational facility, the responsibility may lie with the property owner or management. Additionally, if the equipment was manufactured defectively, the liability could extend to the manufacturer or distributor.
- Car Accidents: Child passengers involved in car accidents are vulnerable to spinal cord injuries, especially if proper child restraint systems are not used or if the car seat is not installed correctly. The impact of a collision can result in severe trauma to the child's back and spinal cord. Liability in car accidents involving child spinal cord injuries can vary depending on the circumstances. If the accident resulted from another driver's negligence, that driver and their insurance company may be held liable for the child's injuries. However, if the injury was caused by a faulty car seat or improper installation, the liability could fall on the car seat manufacturer or the person responsible for installing the seat correctly.
- Sports and Recreational Activities: Negligence in providing adequate safety measures and supervision during sports and recreational activities can lead to spinal cord injuries in children. High-impact sports like football, gymnastics, or diving pose a significant risk of spinal injuries if proper safety guidelines are not followed. Liability in sports and recreational activities leading to child spinal cord injuries may involve coaches, supervisors, or facility owners. If they failed to provide proper safety measures, training, or supervision, they could be held accountable for the child's injuries.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical negligence during childbirth or pediatric procedures can cause spinal cord injuries in newborns or young children. Errors during surgery, improper handling of newborns, or misdiagnosis of spinal conditions can lead to lifelong disabilities. In cases of medical malpractice causing child spinal cord injuries, the liable party could include healthcare professionals, hospitals, or medical facilities responsible for the child's care. Surgical errors, improper handling of newborns, or misdiagnoses leading to spinal cord injuries may result in legal action against the negligent parties.
- Accidents at School: Negligence in maintaining safe school premises or providing adequate supervision can result in spinal cord injuries. Slip and fall accidents, improper use of school equipment, or unsafe transportation practices can cause severe harm to a child's spine. When accidents occur at schools resulting in child spinal cord injuries, liability may rest with the school administration, staff, or even the local education authority responsible for maintaining the school premises and ensuring adequate supervision.
- Swimming Pool Incidents: Inadequate safety measures around swimming pools can lead to accidents resulting in spinal cord injuries. Diving into shallow water or unsupervised swimming can have catastrophic consequences for a child's spine. Liability for swimming pool accidents can extend to the pool owner, property management, or those responsible for pool maintenance and safety protocols. If a lack of proper safety measures or supervision contributed to the accident, these parties may be held accountable for the child's spinal cord injury.
Determining liability in child spinal cord injury cases requires a thorough investigation and evaluation of the circumstances surrounding the accident. An experienced spinal cord injury attorney in New York who can help establish negligence and hold the responsible parties accountable.Pursuing Compensation for Your Child
Pursuing compensation for your child's spinal cord injury is essential to ensure they receive the necessary medical treatment, rehabilitation, and support to cope with the lifelong consequences of such a serious injury. Compensation for child spinal cord injuries may include:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation can cover the costs of initial medical treatments, surgeries, hospitalization, medication, and ongoing medical care for the child's spinal cord injury.
- Rehabilitation and Therapy: Child spinal cord injury victims often require extensive rehabilitation and therapy to regain function and independence. Compensation can include the costs of physical therapy, occupational therapy, and other specialized treatments.
- Assistive Devices and Home Modifications: If the child requires assistive devices like wheelchairs or home modifications to accommodate their condition, compensation can address these needs.
- Loss of Future Earning Capacity: If the spinal cord injury results in permanent disability, compensation can account for the child's loss of future earning capacity as they enter adulthood. This aspect of compensation acknowledges the potential limitations the child may face in pursuing certain career paths and earning potential due to their injury. Our experienced spinal cord injury attorneys in New York will work diligently to ensure that the child's future financial needs are considered and that they receive fair and just compensation for the impact of the injury on their ability to secure gainful employment and financial independence as they grow older.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation may be awarded for the physical pain, emotional distress, and suffering endured by the child due to the spinal cord injury.
- Emotional and Psychological Support: Child spinal cord injuries can have a profound impact on the child's emotional well-being. Compensation may include funds for counseling or therapy to address psychological trauma.
Pursuing compensation for your child's spinal cord injury can be a complex and emotional process. Having a skilled spinal cord injury attorney in New York by your side can provide you with the support, guidance, and advocacy needed to navigate the legal system and ensure your child's rights are protected while seeking the compensation they deserve.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
At Stephen Bilkis & Associates, we are committed to protecting the rights of child spinal cord injury victims and their families. We understand the unique challenges that these injuries pose, and we strive to provide compassionate and aggressive legal representation to seek the compensation these children deserve. If your child has suffered a spinal cord injury due to negligence or wrongful actions, it is crucial to act quickly to protect their rights and secure the resources needed for their recovery and future well-being. Contact an experienced spinal cord injury attorney serving New York at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Brooklyn, Long Island, Queens, Manhattan, Nassau County, Staten Island, Suffolk County, Bronx, and Westchester County.