Dashboard Knee Injury in New York
Car accidents are unfortunately quite common in New York, with thousands of collisions occurring each year on its busy roads and highways. As a busy city with heavy traffic, the likelihood of being involved in a car accident is higher in New York compared to many other places. A car accident has the potential to cause a range of injuries, one of which is commonly referred to as "dashboard knee." This type of injury occurs when the knee forcefully strikes the car's dashboard due to the impact of the collision. While dashboard knee is not fatal, it can result in significant pain and discomfort for the affected individual. Not only can it cause immediate pain and discomfort, but it can also lead to long-term difficulties and financial distress. A knee injury can make simple everyday activities, like walking or climbing stairs, incredibly painful and challenging. Depending on the severity of the injury, the affected person may require extensive medical treatment, physical therapy, and even surgical intervention, leading to mounting medical bills. If you are a loved one suffered a dashboard knee injury in New York due to someone else’s negligence, contact a skilled New York car accident lawyer who can help you navigate the challenging legal process and help ensure you receive the compensation that you deserve.How Dashboard Knee Injuries Occur
Dashboard knee injuries occur when a person's knee forcefully strikes the dashboard of a vehicle during a car accident. The impact can cause various types of knee injuries, including fractures, dislocations, ligament tears, and soft tissue damage. The force involved in such accidents is often substantial, especially in high-speed collisions or situations where proper restraints are not used.
There are several ways dashboard knee injuries can occur in car accidents:
- Front-End Collisions: In a head-on or front-end collision, the vehicle comes to an abrupt stop, causing the occupants' bodies to continue moving forward. This force can lead to the knees hitting the dashboard.
- Airbag Deployment: While airbags are designed to protect occupants, they deploy with considerable force. If the driver or passenger is positioned too close to the airbag or is not properly restrained, the knee may collide with the dashboard upon deployment.
- Improper Seatbelt Use: Failing to wear a seatbelt properly can increase the risk of knee injuries. In a collision, unrestrained occupants may slide forward, increasing the likelihood of knee impact with the dashboard.
- Defective Vehicle Design: Some vehicle models may have poorly designed dashboards that do not adequately absorb impact or provide adequate padding, increasing the risk of knee injuries in accidents.
Knee-to-dashboard injuries can result from the forceful impact of a person's knee against the car's dashboard during a car accident. These injuries can vary in severity and may include:
- Bruises and Contusions: The impact of the knee against the dashboard can lead to bruises and contusions on the knee and surrounding tissues.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Dashboard collisions can cause damage to the soft tissues in the knee, such as ligaments and tendons. This can result in sprains, strains, or tears.
- Knee Fractures: The force of the impact can cause fractures in the bones of the knee, such as the patella (kneecap) or other knee bones.
- Dislocated Knee: In some cases, the knee joint may become dislocated due to the forceful impact against the dashboard.
- Cartilage Injuries: The dashboard impact can lead to damage to the knee's cartilage, resulting in conditions like meniscus tears.
- ACL and PCL Injuries: The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) are critical ligaments in the knee joint. Dashboard knee injuries can cause sprains or tears in these ligaments.
- Nerve Damage: The force of the collision can injure nerves in the knee, leading to pain, numbness, or tingling sensations.
- Chondral Injuries: Dashboard knee injuries can also damage the articular cartilage covering the knee joint's bones, leading to chondral injuries.
- Patellar Tendon Injuries: The impact against the dashboard can result in damage to the patellar tendon, which connects the kneecap to the shinbone.
Knee-to-dashboard injuries can cause considerable pain, swelling, and limited mobility in the affected knee. Recovery from these injuries may require medical treatment, physical therapy, and in severe cases, surgical intervention. It is crucial for anyone involved in a car accident to seek immediate medical attention after the collision to assess and treat any injuries, including those affecting the knees.
If the car accident was caused by another party's negligence, such as reckless driving or a defective vehicle, the injured person may be entitled to compensation for their medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages. Consulting with a New York car accident lawyer can help determine the best course of action to seek the compensation deserved for the knee-to-dashboard injuries sustained in the accident.Liability and Compensation
In the case of a knee-to-dashboard injury, determining liability for the injury is essential in seeking compensation for the victim's losses and damages. If the accident was caused by another driver's negligence, such as reckless driving or failure to obey traffic rules, the at-fault driver and their insurance company may be held liable for the victim's injuries. Additionally, if the vehicle's design or safety features were defective and contributed to the severity of the knee injury, the vehicle manufacturer or designer may share liability.
When a victim sustains a dashboard knee injury due to someone else's negligence, they may be entitled to various types of compensation. Firstly, compensation may cover all medical expenses related to the injury, including hospitalization, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and follow-up treatments. The victim can also seek compensation for lost wages and diminished earning capacity if the injury prevents them from working or engaging in their usual employment activities. Moreover, the victim may be eligible for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life due to the impact of the injury on their overall well-being.
Pursuing a claim for a dashboard knee injury can be a complex process, requiring evidence, legal expertise, and negotiation skills. Consulting with an experienced car accident attorney in New York is crucial to building a strong case and ensuring the victim's rights are protected throughout the legal process.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
At Stephen Bilkis & Associates, our focus is on protecting the rights of victims who have suffered knee dashboard injuries and their families. We understand the unique challenges posed by these injuries and are dedicated to providing compassionate yet aggressive legal representation to pursue the rightful compensation for our clients. If you or a loved one has experienced a knee dashboard injury due to negligence or wrongful actions, it is crucial to act promptly to safeguard your rights and secure the resources needed for recovery and future well-being. Our team is here to support you through this difficult time and fight for the justice and compensation you deserve to move forward. Contact an experienced spinal cord injury attorney serving New York at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Brooklyn, Long Island, Queens, Manhattan, Nassau County, Staten Island, Suffolk County, Bronx, and Westchester County.