Faulty Handrail Injuries in New York
Faulty handrails present a serious safety concern, as they can lead to severe injuries and life-altering consequences. Whether it's a loose, broken, or improperly installed handrail, the consequences of such negligence can be devastating. At Stephen Bilkis & Associates, we are here to advocate for your rights and hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions or lack thereof. With our deep understanding of premises liability laws in New York, our New York personal injury lawyers are well-equipped to handle cases involving faulty handrail injuries. Our experienced team will diligently investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident, gather evidence, consult with experts if necessary, and build a strong legal strategy to support your claim. Our ultimate goal is to obtain maximum compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and any other damages resulting from the faulty handrail incident. Contact our firm today for a consultation. Let us be your trusted legal advocates, working tirelessly to seek justice on your behalf and help you on the path to recovery.Common Injuries from Faulty Handrails
Faulty handrails can pose serious safety hazards and lead to various types of injuries. When handrails are defective or improperly installed, individuals relying on them for support and stability may suffer significant harm. Some common injuries that can result from faulty handrails include:
- Falls: Handrails are essential for preventing falls, especially on staircases and elevated areas. If a handrail is loose, wobbly, or missing, individuals may lose balance and fall, leading to fractures, sprains, head injuries, and other trauma.
- Hand and Wrist Injuries: When individuals grasp a faulty handrail for support, it may collapse or break under their weight. This can result in hand and wrist injuries such as fractures, dislocations, sprains, and ligament damage.
- Shoulder Injuries: Shoulder injuries can occur when individuals heavily rely on handrails for support and experience a sudden failure, leading to stumbling or loss of balance. This can result in shoulder problems such as dislocations, strains, and tears. Dislocations happen when the upper arm bone dislodges from the shoulder socket, causing pain and limited movement. Strains occur when the shoulder muscles and tendons are overstretched or torn, causing pain and weakness. Tears can affect different structures like the rotator cuff tendons or labrum, causing pain, instability, and reduced function.
- Back and Spinal Injuries: If a handrail gives way while someone is relying on it, they may experience a sudden jolt or fall backward, potentially causing back injuries, spinal cord injuries, or even paralysis.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Faulty handrails may have sharp edges, exposed screws, or broken pieces, which can cause cuts, lacerations, and other skin injuries to individuals who come into contact with them.
It is crucial that property owners and managers address and rectify faulty handrails promptly to prevent these injuries and premises liability claims. If someone has sustained harm due to a defective handrail, it may be possible to pursue legal action against the responsible party, such as property owners, manufacturers, or maintenance companies. Seeking the assistance of a skilled New York personal injury lawyer can help victims understand their rights, gather evidence, and pursue fair compensation for their injuries, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other related damages.Taking Legal Action for a Faulty Handrail Injury
If you have suffered an injury due to a faulty handrail, you may be entitled to take legal action to seek compensation for your damages. Holding the responsible parties accountable is crucial to ensuring your recovery and preventing similar accidents from happening to others.
When pursuing a legal claim for a faulty handrail injury, identifying the liable parties is essential. Potential defendants may include property owners, property managers, maintenance companies, contractors, or even manufacturers of the handrail if a defect is present. The specific circumstances of the case will determine who may be held responsible.
Compensation for a faulty handrail injury can cover various damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation, medication, and any other necessary healthcare services related to your injury.
- Pain and Suffering: Damages for pain and suffering encompass physical pain, emotional distress, mental anguish, and the overall impact the injury has had on your quality of life.
- Lost Wages: If your injury has resulted in missed work or reduced earning capacity, you may seek compensation for the income you have lost and any potential future earnings you may be unable to earn.
- Rehabilitation and Therapy: If your injury requires ongoing rehabilitation, physical therapy, or counseling, compensation may be available to cover these expenses.
To navigate the legal process and maximize your chances of receiving fair compensation, it is crucial to consult with a skilled personal injury attorney in New York experienced in premises liability cases. They will assess the details of your situation, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate on your behalf. Remember, taking prompt action is important as there may be time limits for filing a claim.Notable Case about Faulty Handrail Injuries in New York
Dessasore v. N.Y. City Housing Auth, 70 A.D.3d 440 (N.Y. App. Div. 2010). Plaintiff sought damages for injuries he sustained when he fell down a stairway in defendant's building after tripping on a handrail that had partially come loose from the wall and was resting at the top of the steps. The jury awarded the plaintiff $5 million.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one have sustained a serious injury from a faulty handrail injury in New York, it is crucial to understand your rights and seek legal assistance. Faulty handrails can lead to life-altering injuries, impacting your physical well-being, emotional state, and overall quality of life. Our experienced team of personal injury attorneys serving New York will work tirelessly to investigate your case, gather evidence, and build a strong legal strategy tailored to your specific situation. We will guide you through the legal process, providing support, empathy, and personalized attention every step of the way. Contact us today at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Staten Island, Suffolk County, and Westchester County.