Spinal Injury in New York
A spinal injury refers to damage or trauma sustained to the spinal cord or the vertebrae that protect it, resulting in partial or complete loss of sensation and function below the injury site. The spinal cord is a critical component of the nervous system, facilitating communication between the brain and the rest of the body. If the spinal cord is damaged, the result may be paraplegia, quadriplegia, or another form of permanent paralysis. Such an injury is devastating. Facing a spinal injury may be even more difficult if it was caused because of someone else’s actions. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury because someone was negligent, reckless, or violent, seek legal guidance from an experienced New York spinal injury lawyer at Stephen Bilkis & Associates. Navigating the legal complexities of a spinal injury case requires the expertise of a skilled attorney who can fight for your rights and help you obtain the compensation you need to cope with the challenges ahead.How Spinal Injuries Can Occur
Spinal injuries can occur due to various factors, often involving significant force or impact. Some common causes of spinal injuries include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: High-speed collisions, rear-end accidents, and rollovers can cause severe spinal injuries due to the force exerted on the spine. In such cases, the victim may have a claim against the at-fault driver and their insurance company to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Falls from heights or on slippery surfaces can lead to spinal injuries, especially among older adults. In slip and fall cases, the victim may have a premises liability claim against the property owner or manager if it can be proven that their negligence, such as failure to maintain safe premises or provide adequate warnings, contributed to the accident and subsequent spinal injury.
- Construction Accidents: Spinal injuries in construction accidents can occur due to falls from heights, being struck by falling objects, trench or excavation collapses, machinery accidents, collisions, structural failures, electrocution, and repetitive motion. Construction workers often work at elevated levels and with heavy machinery, increasing the risk of accidents that can cause severe spinal trauma. Employers and site managers have a crucial role in ensuring proper safety protocols are in place to prevent such injuries. However, if a construction worker does suffer a spinal injury due to negligence or unsafe conditions, they may be entitled to seek compensation to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages through a workers' compensation claim or a personal injury lawsuit with the assistance of an experienced New York spinal injury lawyer.
- Sports and Recreational Activities: Participation in high-impact sports or recreational activities, such as football, skiing, or diving, can also put individuals at risk of spinal injuries. In cases of sports-related spinal injuries, the victim may have a claim against the party responsible for causing the injury, which could include another player, the sports facility, or even the coach or management if negligence is involved.
- Acts of Violence: Spinal injuries can also result from intentional acts of violence, such as assaults or shootings. In such cases, the victim may have a claim against the perpetrator for compensation to cover medical expenses, rehabilitation, and emotional distress.
Understanding who may be liable for a spinal injury is crucial in pursuing compensation and holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions.Types of Spinal Injuries
Spinal injuries encompass various types, each with its unique characteristics and impact on an individual's well-being. The most common types of spinal injuries include:
- Spinal Fractures: These occur when one or more vertebrae in the spine break due to significant force, such as in a car accident or fall. Spinal fractures can lead to instability and potential damage to the spinal cord.
- Paralysis: Paralysis can result from a spinal injury when the spinal cord, responsible for transmitting signals between the brain and the rest of the body, sustains severe damage. Depending on the location and extent of the injury, paralysis can affect various parts of the body, leading to partial or complete loss of sensation and motor function..
- Herniated Discs: A herniated disc occurs when the soft inner material of a spinal disc protrudes through a tear in the tough outer layer, putting pressure on nearby nerves and causing pain and weakness in the affected area.
- Spinal Stenosis: This condition involves the narrowing of the spinal canal, which may compress the spinal cord and nerves, leading to pain, numbness, and difficulty walking.
- Spinal Cord Contusions: Contusions are bruising of the spinal cord, often resulting from trauma. They can cause temporary or permanent neurological deficits.
- Spinal Cord Compression: Compression of the spinal cord can occur due to conditions like tumors, bone spurs, or inflammation, leading to pain and neurological symptoms.
Each type of spinal injury requires careful evaluation and treatment tailored to the individual's unique circumstances. Seeking timely medical attention and legal guidance from an experienced New York spinal injury lawyer is essential to ensure the best possible outcome and secure the compensation needed for comprehensive care and support.How a Spinal Injury Can Impact One's Life
The consequences of a spinal injury are profound and life-changing. Depending on the location and severity of the injury, the victim may experience partial or complete paralysis, loss of sensation, and difficulties with bodily functions. The emotional toll of coping with such significant changes in mobility and independence can be immense, leading to feelings of depression, anxiety, and frustration.
Complications from the injury may include muscle spasms, respiratory problems, and bladder and bowel dysfunction, further complicating the daily life of the victim. Moreover, the need for specialized medical care, assistive devices, and home modifications adds financial burdens that can be overwhelming for the injured individual and their family.Pursuing Compensation
If you suffered a spinal injury due to the negligent, reckless, or violent actions of another person, contact an experienced spinal injury attorney in New York. Pursuing compensation for a spinal injury is crucial to easing the financial burdens and facilitating the road to recovery. Compensation can cover medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, ongoing care, assistive devices, lost wages, and pain and suffering.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
At Stephen Bilkis & Associates our experienced spinal injury attorneys serving New York are dedicated to fighting for the rights of spinal injury victims. We understand the challenges you are facing, and our compassionate legal team is here to provide the support and guidance you need during this difficult time. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury due to someone else's negligence, do not hesitate to contact our firm for a free consultation. We will thoroughly assess your case, explain your legal options, and pursue the compensation you deserve to secure your future and improve your quality of life. Let us be your advocates in seeking justice and fair compensation for the impact of a spinal injury. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Brooklyn, Long Island, Queens, Manhattan, Nassau County, Staten Island, Suffolk County, Bronx, and Westchester County.