New York Fiat Car Accident Lawyer
Like any type of car accident, New York Fiat car accidents can be caused by a number of different factors. Even when bad weather or unsafe road conditions are contributing factors, in almost every car accident the primary cause of auto accidents involving Fiats is negligence. For example, in recent years one of the top causes of car accidents is distracted driving. Distracted driving refers to texting or using a electronic device in some other way while driving. Another common reason for accidents is driving recklessly by speeding or failing to stop at a red light. Drunk driving remains a top cause of serious car accidents. Car accident injuries can be quite serious, including permanent injuries to the brain, back, neck, head, and spinal cord. These types of injuries involve extensive treatment and substantial medical bills. Meanwhile the victim is unable to work. Under the law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you or a family member were injured in a New York Fiat car accident caused by the negligence of another person, it is important to contact an experienced New York car accident attorney who will help ensure that the person whose negligence caused the accident is held accountable through a personal injury claim.Common causes of car accidents
Along with slip and fall accidents, car accidents are one of the most common causes of accidents caused by negligence. There are many reasons that Fiats and other types of cars end up in accidents. Some of these reasons include:
- Driving while under the influence. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is one of the top causes of car accidents and fatal car accidents.
- Speeding. Driving in excess of posted speed limits, or driving too fast for road or weather conditions. Statistics show that speeding greatly increases the chance that a driver will be involved in an accident. When a driver speeds his or her reaction time decreases and the car performs differently. In addition, when an accident does occur the likelihood of serious injuries or death increases.
- Violating other traffic laws. Failing to stop at red lights, recklessly changing lanes, making illegal U-turns and breaking any of the other “Rules of the Road”
- Distracted driving. Texting and driving or using electronic devices when your eyes should be on the road
- Drowsy driving. Driving while too tired, causing you to fall asleep at the wheel or not be alert enough drive safely
While it is unfair that you suffered injuries because someone else was negligent, you are not without recourse. An experienced attorney will explain that the law gives you a way to hold the negligent person accountable. You can file a personal injury claim against that person demanding that he or she compensate you for your losses. There are a number of expenses and losses for which you have the right to demand compensation.
- Medical expenses. Ambulance fees, emergency room, hospital stays, surgical fees, nursing home stays, doctors, chiropractors, lab tests, MRIs, rehabilitation facility stays, physical therapy, medical equipment, and prescriptions. Evidence of your medical expenses includes bills from the doctors and other providers, canceled checks, credit card statements and insurance statements.
- Lost wages. Lost paychecks, value of used sick or vacation days, and loss of future earning capacity as evidenced by paystubs, employment records, statements from employer, and expert testimony.
- Pain and suffering. Physical pain and emotional pain as evidenced by testimony of your friends, medical reports, medication prescribe and testimony from mental health professionals.
- Wrongful death. Medical expenses and lost wages prior to death, funeral and burial expenses, and family’s loss of support and loss of consortium.
A personal injury lawsuit stemming from a car accident can be complicated, involving complex evidentiary issues related to fault. If you were injured in a car accident, contact an attorney who not only has experience handing car accidents, but is also familiar with the medical issues victims of such accidents experience. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates are experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. We understand the legal issues associated with vehicle accidents as well as the medical issues associated with catastrophic injuries. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We serve individuals hurt in car accidents in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.